March 14, 2008

Where's that pause button?

Last weekend I turned 30 years old.

Growing older has never really frustrated me, but now for the first time there's a dominant feeling of genuine surprise: how the hell did I get old so quickly?

I mean, 30, really? Thirty!

Up to an age of... I don't know, 23 or 24, time seemed to pass naturally. Childhood, highschool, first girlfriend, first sex, university, Master's degree... you know? A year was a year, and things progressed.

Then, a blink of an eye, and here we are.

It'd be an understatement to say that my life at thirty didn't turn out the way I expected. That's not necessarily only a bad thing, but in the words of David Byrne: "Where is that large automobile?" Et cetera.

But on we go.

1 comment:

martijn said...

I'll turn 30 later this year. I do believe life gets better when you get older. At least it gets less confusing, which is my world is almost synonymous to better.

But I know what you mean about the suddenness of turning 30. It feels not me. When I realise my youngest sister will turn 26 next month, it almost feels like she's older than me.

A belated happy birthday though. :)